How Secure is Your Data Center?
One of the most critical aspects when deciding on a data center facility is the importance that is given to physical security. There are several factors to consider when determining the physical security of a data center. Here are a few tips to guide you in your decision.
1. Low key appearance: The data center building should look as nondescript as possible so as to not attract undue attention from passersby.
2. Windows: The rule to follow here is that windows (if there are any) should be shatter-resistant and double glazed. Avoid windows that open up directly on the data floor.
3. Entry points into the building: There should be one single point of entry for all visitors and contacts. In addition there should be a loading bay for all deliveries. Loading bay access needs to be monitored by security personnel and also by CCTV. Also, it is advisable to have a permanent security staff, since using contract staff for security is itself a threat to the data center security.
4. Door Hinges: Did you know that no matter how expensive your door and its security locks are, if the hinges are on the outside, then the door can very easily be removed, making it a gaping security hole.
5. Fire exits and alarms: The fire exit door should only open outward and ring an alarm when opened. Other doors also should have alarms if left open beyond a certain time interval. It is also an excellent idea to have the security systems integrated with the local police department so that emergency situations can be handled with the right kind of urgency.
6. Layering Security: The data center core is where the data floor is, and is most critical to business operations. Make sure that a layered security scheme is followed so that there are multiple security checks and controls before one can reach the center.
It is always better to be safe than sorry; and prevention and risk mitigation is the key when it comes to data center security. To consult a data center expert, get in touch with http://www.lifelinedatacenters.com/.